Friday, March 12, 2010

What 3D Movies need to do, to fill the seats.

So I broke down and saw my first 3D movie last Sunday night, "Alice in Wonderland" to be exact. I went with Cal and my sister Jessica, who was visiting us on her way to the beach. Going into the movie, I did not know what I was getting into, as I had not fallen into the hype machine that was Avatar, and had yet to truly see a 3D movie. The movie itself was a bit lack luster and involved some flying beast that I did not remember from any Alice tale that I had ever read. But as I sat back in my seat with these funky glasses, resting on the rim of my nose, I could not help but wonder about the future of film making. "Alice in Wonderland" was a decent movie, do not get me wrong, but it was far from spectacular. I would have had the same reaction if the movie had not been in 3D, which did add some nice effects but that was it. The 3D effects were not the reason I went to see the movie, I went to see the movie to see what the combination of Tim Burton and Jhonny Depp were up to. Just like anybody else, I have my own particular movie habits, but I mainly watch a movie, just like everybody else, to escape the reality of my life and relive it in the form of a Mad Hatter, a Paraplegic Marine, an Estranged Cop or as a thousand and one other opportunities that they currently offer. But no matter what, the movie we go and see, the movie audience is there to see a story that allows them to escape their everyday life, so no matter how many 3D scenes a movie has, it is not as overall important as the story itself. This is not to say that 3D does not have a current place in the movie industry. Cartoons and Science Fiction are two strong categories that will rely on this field for years to come. The upcoming Tron:Legacy (http://tinyurl.com/ydocqe9) was born to be a 3D movie, but does anybody really want to see Legally Blonde 3 in 3D? 3D is a cool feature and has given theaters a shot in the arm that they needed to reinvent themselves for the dying movie watcher. However, filmmakers need to watch out of falling into the pitfall of the 3D concept, and remember that the basics come first, because if not the audience will continue to get their movie experience online and at home, instead of in the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment