Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Treating your fans right, in Social Media.

Before I say anything...I want to mention about the lateness in this post. I have been teasing on Twitter/Facebook all week that I will have a new blog post up, but for the life of me i have not got around to it. I have written a few things here and there but nothing truly stuck. Until I saw Alissa Sheley's twitter post last night.
Now I love Alissa, do not get me wrong. I was kindly allowed to join her and the JHP crew during the Superbowl show and debate my thoughts on commercials. The whole experience was rather fun and entertaining and something that I will not forget. But I do have to ask one thing? Why does Ryan Canaugh need 2,000 follwers? I am sure their contest is all in fun, and this blog/rant is not meant to be directed at them, but people in general. What is the point of having so many followers?
Though Facebook and Twitter are two different applications both of these applications have this same issue. What are you going to do with 2,000 people following you? What is your ulterior motive? People need to think about this before they add that person or company.
How many of us has a friend or family member who has over a 1,000 followers in a social media page? There was a girl I went to high school with who recently created Facebook fan page for herself that said "****** ***** wants 1000 fans." Okay, why does she want this number of fans? As every marketer says before they start anything..."Why are we doing this?" Why did she need such a large number? If she has nothing more to give to these people, why would they want to join her?
Most people forget that this is Social Media and regardless of what you think, it is here as a vessell of communication. Look at Kevin Smith, this is a guy who knows marketing. Kevin Smith is one of the most recognizable guy's on Twitter, who usually entertains his audience by going on numerous rants that always include pot and sex. But not only does he use these rants to keep his fans (and himself) entertained, but he uses this to remind his followers to go see his movie's or to check out the latest comic book he's written. This is a guy who engages his customers and then slips in the occasional reminder that he does produce something. This is what marketing should be.
VICTORIA SECRET OR ANY OTHER BRAND CAN HAVE A MILLION FOLLOWERS BUT WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH IT?
Does Cavanaugh plan on using these numbers in some interesting way I do not know? Will the fans stay afterwards if he does/does not get the tattoo, who knows? But these new followers will be here with him for the foreseeable future, and whether or not he does anything with them, is up to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment