Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Bitching and Moaning" on Social Media.

So as everybody knows I am one of those social media dorks that believes Twitter is a religion, checks Facebook every hour, and "check's in" everywhere I go on Gowalla and Foursquare, but today I committed a cardinal sin in "Social Media" by bitching and moaning about my life on Twitter.
As most people know, I am constantly staying busy on a variety of levels:
  1. I work full time at Radioshack, to make ends meet.
  2. I am an intern at 919 Marketing, a marketing company located in Holly Springs.
  3. I try to manage this blog.
But today I reached a new all time low by committing an act of Social Media that I never thought I would do, I COMMITTED BAD SOCIAL MEDIA. . Exhausted and unhappy with my performance at 919 I bitched and moaned on Twitter. A lot of factors could of led to this...exhaustion maybe, failing to reach a level of performance, I have placed on my life? But regardless of the reason, once someone "bitches and moans" online, can such a cruel act on Social Media be fixed? Sadly, I do not believe so. Though, I am just a normal everyday Joe, and most people will see it as my one only slip up, imagine if I was a company spokesman. Would they have the same leverage that I, the average Samaritan have.
Imagine if I was a top notch executive at Radioshack and was bitching about the company on a company social media account. What would happen to me? Would I lose my job? Would I be fined? Most companies have Social Media rules and regulations in place today to prevent such an action from taking place, but I have to wonder are these rules enforced and what are we going to do in the future as Social Media becomes more of a part of our every day life. Though we are protected by the First Amendment, I can only wonder, what exactly would happen next.
We have reached that point in Social Media where our very lives, our being monitored 24/7 and "bitching and moaning," is just counter productive to the whole notion of social media. We as a civilization do not want to hear about your daily problems, or your cry for help, this is not your soapbox. If so GET A BLOG! So please stop the "Bitching and Moaning," because if you promise too, I will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment